7 Exercises to Tone Your Oblique Muscles
- Bicycle Crunch. 1 of 12. Lie face-up on the floor with your legs straight.
- Single-Leg Side Plank. 3 of 12.
- Rotating Side Plank. 4 of 12.
- Spiderman Push-Up. 6 of 12.
- Cross-Body Mountain Climber. 7 of 12.
- Russian Twist. 8 of 12.
- Dumbbell/Kettlebell Side Crunch. 10 of 12.
How do you define oblique muscles?
Definition. Oblique muscle refers to two abdominal muscles – the external and internal obliques. These provide trunk flexion and rotation. The external oblique is the thickest and runs from the lower ribs to the iliac crest.
The Oblique Workout
- Side Plank Hip Raise. You’ll start in a side plank position with your feet in a sturdy position.
- Floor Wipers. Here, you’ll start on the ground with your arms out to the side and legs straight up.
- Side Jack Knives.
- Side Plank Knee to Elbow.
- Straight Arm Russian Twists.
- Straight Leg Side Crunches.
Why are obliques so hard to get?
The obliques are the muscles at the sides of your abs. There are two types of oblique muscles which are the internal and external obliques. Because they are really huge strong muscles and hard to reach location wise, they are really hard to develop and train.
How long does it take to tone your obliques?
The good news is that even with moderate workouts, it only takes a season or so to see significant muscle definition. And if you really overhaul your diet, cardio and resistance routines, you’ll have more toned abs in as little as four to eight weeks.
17 Simple Ways to Get Rid of Love Handles
- Cut out Added Sugar. Share on Pinterest.
- Focus on Healthy Fats. Filling up on healthy fats like avocados, olive oil, nuts, seeds and fatty fish can help slim your waistline.
- Fill up on Fiber.
- Move Throughout the Day.
- Stress Less.
- Lift Weights.
- Get Enough Sleep.
- Add in Whole-Body Moves.
The Best Oblique Exercises for a Hard Core Workout
- Bird Dog Crunches.
- Single-Leg Side Plank with Leg Raise.
- Spiderman Crunch.
- Side Plank Swipers.
- Single-Leg Toe Touches.
Oblique side bends
- Stand straight and hold a dumbbell in one hand at your side.
- Bracing your core, bend sideways at the waist, allowing the dumbbell to drop down toward the floor.
- Using your oblique, pull yourself back to start, repeating for the desired number of reps.
- Repeat on the other side.
Top 10 Exercises To Cinch The Waist & Sculpt Your Obliques
- 1 BICYCLE CRUNCHES.
- 2 DUMBBELL SIDE BEND.
- 3 HEEL TOUCHERS.
- 4 OBLIQUE V CRUNCH.
- 5 RUSSIAN TWIST.
- 6 PLANK HIP DIPS.
- 7 TRIANGLE CRUNCH.
- 8 SIDE CRUNCH.
What is 1 exercise for the oblique muscles?
Sit on the ground with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Roll onto your left hip at a 45-degree angle, bracing yourself on your left forearm. Lift your feet and knees off the ground, and put your right hand behind your head. Crunch up, bringing your lower body and upper body to meet.Best Oblique Exercises
- Side Jackknife.
- Copenhagen Plank.
- Push-Up to Side Plank.
- Unilateral Squat.
- Single-Arm Kettlebell Swing.
- Side Plank Cable Row.
- Hanging Oblique Raise.
- Kettlebell Windmill.
13 of the Best Obliques Exercises
- Side Planks. “This exercise primarily targets the obliques, but it also works the whole side of the body including the shoulders, core, and hips,” Burrell says.
- Side Plank Dips.
- Sit-Ups to Twist.
The 9 Best Oblique Exercises For A Strong Core
- Farmer Carry. Let’s get one thing straight.
- Suitcase Carry. The next best oblique exercise is another carry; this one is called a suitcase carry.
- Single-Arm Side Deadlift.
- Pallof Press.
- Barbell Rollouts.
- Side Crunches.
- Russian Twist.
Obliques Stretch Instructions
- Stand tall with your feet shoulder-width apart. Place your right hand on your hip and raise the left arm.
- Incline your torso to the right until you feel a stretch in the obliques.
- Hold the stretch for 20 to 30 seconds and then repeat on the other side.
9 Ab Exercises for a Flat Belly
- Plank poses.
- Get in the ring.
- Stability boards and balls.
- Get moving.
- Bicycle crunches.
- Captain’s chair.
- Torso twist.
What exercise hits the obliques?
Sit on the ground with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Roll onto your left hip at a 45-degree angle, bracing yourself on your left forearm. Lift your feet and knees off the ground, and put your right hand behind your head. Crunch up, bringing your lower body and upper body to meet.
Adding variation to your workouts can help keep your routine fresh and interesting, and also work other muscles in addition to your abs.
- Flat bench leg raise. The flat bench leg raise is a great exercise for working your abdominals.
- Flutter kicks.
- Toe reach.
- Reverse crunch.
- Bicycle crunch.
- Russian twist.