How to keep cats from chewing christmas lights?

Pets

comment No Comments

By Austin Cannon

Why does my cat bite Christmas lights?

Cats are drawn to the tree lights because: Lights look interesting, resembling a shiny new toy. Cats use their mouths to explore. Chewing is a way to soothe teethin.

Can cats get hurt from chewing on Christmas lights?

Chewing a strand of Christmas lights puts your kitty at risk of electrocution or severe burns. Prevent this by spraying any lights within your cat’s reach with a deterrent. You may also want to consider buying a tree with fiber optic lights.

What can I use to make my cats stop chewing on my Christmas tree?

Make your own spray with water + orange, lemongrass or citronella oil. Some cats detest these scents and will avoid the area on their own. Orange peels placed around the base of the tree may have a similar effect – just replace them every couple of days.

How do I get my cat to stop chewing Christmas tree lights?

Place lights toward the center of the tree so that your cat is less tempted to chew on the wires and cover the end of the wire that plugs into the wall with a cord protector. Always unplug the lights when you’re not able to supervise your cat.

How do I stop my kitten from chewing Christmas lights?

Anti-chew spray should also be applied to the Christmas tree’s light wires to deter chewing. Check out these other ways cat owners can protect their furry friend and still have a shining tree: Wrap the wires tightly around branches to limit dangling or loose pieces that can be irresistible to a cat.

Can Christmas lights hurt cats?

The lights on your Christmas tree supply a surprising amount of power! A 120V shock to your cat’s system would certainly hurt, if not cause serious injury. Some light strings, particularly those with motion or color-changing capabilities, can pack an even more powerful punch.

Can cats get sick from chewing on a fake Christmas tree?

“Cats should not chew on an artificial tree, as they may accidentally ingest pieces of the tree which can cause both irritation and potential blockage.” Dr. Bierbrier advises.

Are Christmas lights toxic to cats?

Strings of Christmas lights are also dangerous for cats. If the cat is able to chew through the light strands, they can electrocute themselves. This would result in them having difficulties breathing and can cause burns in their mouths.

Which Christmas decorations are poisonous to cats?

Amaryllis, daffodils, hyacinths, iris, mistletoe and ALL LILIES are very poisonous to cats. If you think your cat has chewed on any of these, take him to the vet IMMEDIATELY. Poinsettias are less dangerous but some cats are sensitive to them and can have upset stomachs and vomit if they eat them.

Why are cats attracted to Christmas lights?

Like a laser pointer, blinking Christmas tree lights create the illusion of a living, moving prey animal when they seem to change speed and direction. Shiny ornaments flashing in the light add to the illusion.

Are Christmas lights toxic?

Christmas decorations and lights. Yes, all those beautiful tree ornaments, the decorations, and even that snarl of lights you drag out of storage once a year have the potential to contain toxic substances. The most common reason: They can contain lead.

Is Christmas garland poisonous to cats?

Tinsel Garlands and Loose Strands of Tinsel

Although garlands can be toxic, “The larger concern with any string-like object is that cats like to play with string, and when swallowed, this can cause intestinal obstruction that requires surgery,” says Dr. Stephanie Liff, DVM at Pure Paws Veterinary Care in Brooklyn, NY.

How do you decorate a Christmas tree if you have a cat?

Most cats hate foil and citrus scents, so wrap your tree trunk in foil, and place a few lemon or orange peels around the base. You can also place pine cones around the base.

Is garland pet safe?

Whether they are on your Christmas tree, a wreath or some garland, pine needles can be a problem if ingested. The needles can puncture or irritate the lining of your dog’s stomach, and the oils can irritate the mucous membranes. The needles may not kill your pet, but they can make him really uncomfortable and ill.

Leave a Comment